Monday, March 11, 2013

Flea Market Finds in an altered state...

In Pensacola, there were some great flea markets and thrift stores where I could find all sorts of things that piqued my interest in "repurposing" and "altering" in an artful way. Here in Iwakuni, my options are a bit more limited, but, fortunately, the thrift store on base has had a steady supply of fun things for me to play with! Here are the three most recent items, I have picked up for $2 or less:


And my mini studio (lights and a white tent for better lighting!) arrived, so I couldn't wait to test it out on my latest projects. I really think it was a good investment. The finished items below look almost as good on this blog as they do in person!

For the mini two-drawer dresser in the top right of the photo above, I decided to alter it in cream and red tones, in a collection I call "Daisy in Red". Those of you who are scrapbookers may remember this paper line from My Minds Eye. It's flocked paper, which gives a soft, 3D texture.



Of course, I couldn't just leave the dresser as a dresser... it houses two mini photo albums that fit perfectly inside the drawers. Just add your photos!


I love this paper line and had enough of it to also create a great family- or child-themed album with acrylic cover. It is 8x8 inches and has five panels... perfect for your favorite family moments!




In the photo of flea market finds above, there is an unfinished tray. I decided to go with an ephemera style with this one, which is one of my favorite looks. This paper line is also from My Minds Eye.




Last, but certainly not least is the three-drawer mini armoire with mirror. I kept the drawers the same colors, but punched the look of the piece up a bit with black, slightly metallic, paint, instead of the dreary dark brown. I added some paper and embellishments from designer Heidi Grace to give it a colorful modern look.



And, again, I couldn't just let it be mini furniture... I had to add some "memory" to it. So, I created three mini albums that tuck neatly way in to each of the drawers... but left plenty of space for momentos in the cupboard.

Each of these items is available for sale. The two-drawer dress and albums is $40 and the matching 8 x 8 album is $50. The ephemera tray is $25 and the mini armoire is $45. Just Facebook message or email me if you are interested in one of them.... before I'm tempted to keep them for myself (my husband would not appreciate this, I assure you!).

No comments:

Post a Comment